1-50 of 343
In 1839, five mounted scouts searched a broad area of wilderness seeking a site for a new capital city for the Republic of Texas. They chose this location on the north bank of Colorado..
Dallas - a city as bold as brass, and as subtle as a skyrocket is one of Texas' most recognizable vacation destinations. Located in the mid east of the state Dallas is a mixture of ultra..
Texas' largest city is Houston. A name that conjures up images of oil wells, cowboy boots and Cadillac convertibles replete with bull-horn hood ornament. Located in the southeast corner of..
On June 16, 1849, Brevet Major Ripley Arnold set up Camp Worth on the banks of the Trinity River, at the confluence of the West and Clear forks. The outpost was named after Arnold's..
In 1718, at an Indian village along the southern edge of the Texas Hill Country, Spain established Mission San Antonio de Valero (later called the Alamo). A customary accompanying presidio..
First settlement in Caddo Indian territory was Bird's Fort on Trinity River; in 1845, a trading post was established at Mary le Bone Springs. About 1876, the town moved to present site when..
Grew from earlier settlements dating back to the Juan de Oñate expedition in 1598 and a settlement by Juan Maria Ponce de León in 1827, although area missions predate that..
Try something new this year: discover the real Texas in Amarillo, largest city in the Panhandle. Amarillo is home to cowboy culture, canyon country and Historic Route 66.
City is major deep-water port and one of Texas' most popular seacoast playgrounds. First European to have visited area is believed to have been Spanish explorer Alonzo de Piñeda in..
Fort Davis was established and grew under protection of U.S.
Army post of the same name that was founded in 1854 at crossroads of famous Chihuahua Trail and Butterfield Overland Mail..
When first explored by Europeans, the island was an Akokisa Indian site. The Karankawa Indians used the island for hunting and fishing. Pirate Jean Laffite established a settlement in..
Established by cattlemen as a stock shipping point on Texas and Pacific Railroad in 1881, named for Abilene, Kan. The city later became major cattle producing area with diversified farming...
Established in 1882, is seat of Brewster County. Centrally located between the Davis and Glass mountains and near Big Bend National Park, Alpine is a designated Texas Main Street city. It..
This seat of Howard County is in a gorge between two high foothills of the Caprock escarpment. Its name is derived from the huge natural spring in Sulphur Draw that provided water to..
Settled 1853 by pioneer stockmen who had to fortify homes against attacks and raids. Named Blanco (Spanish word meaning white) for the Blanco River. Centerpiece of town square is the Old..
Seat of Fannin County in an area of Blackland Prairie south of the Red River that marks the boundary between Texas and Oklahoma.
The name and statue on courthouse square honor James Butler..
Established as supply village for adjacent Fort Clark in 1852.
Fort was one of the most historic military posts in Southwest. Over the years, many infantry regiments and most of Army's..
Brownsville's roots are as deep as Texas is big. The southernmost city in the state, Brownsville offers the history, culture, traditions, language and people of two great countries all in..
Located in Brazos River Valley, where Stephen F. Austin's colonists settled between 1821 and 1831.
Bryan was established in 1855 in honor of William Joel Bryan, nephew of Texas pioneer..
Settlement at site of natural pass in the Callahan Divide through which buffalo traveled for centuries; was a point on the famous Dodge (or Western) Cattle Trail. Recent visitor-oriented..
Seat of Burnet County, town grew around frontier Fort Croghan, established 1849. One of the most ancient geological areas of the world. Features outcropping of granite and famous Longhorn..
Originated 1878 as headquarters for huge T Anchor Ranch; seat of Randall County and gateway to spectacular Palo Duro Canyon State Park; home of West Texas A&M Univ.
Became seat of Panola (Indian word for cotton) County in 1848 when 100 acres were donated for town site. Today, it's a center for gas and oil processing, petrochemicals, lumber mills..
"The Little Alsace of Texas," rich in European appearance and traditions, was founded in 1844 by Henri Castro, an impresario of the Texas Republic who brought a group of settlers, mostly..
Settled in 1847, soon had two institutions of higher learning.
Small schools thrived a while, but faded in 1867 when the community was almost wiped out by a yellow fever epidemic. Rural..
Established by Methodist minister L.H. Carhart, in 1878 as a "sobriety settlement" in contrast to typical boomtowns of that era.
It earned the sobriquet "Saints Roost" by local cowboys...
Seat of Montgomery County on southern edge of Sam Houston National Forest, amid the piney woods. The county is known as "Birthplace of the Lone Star Flag." In 1839, the state legislature..
Seat of Morris County, one of the smallest in Texas. Extensive deposits of iron ore used by Lone Star Steel plant. Other area industries are farming, livestock, sand and gravel, roofing and..
Founded in 1901 at the junction of two railroads, Dalhart was known as the headquarters of the famous XIT Ranch, 3,050,000 acres that were deeded by the state to the Capitol Syndicate of..
Del Rio bills itself as "The Best of the Border." It is the seat of Val Verde (green valley) County with more than 3,000 square miles. Agriculture includes cattle ranching, extensive..
Established 1857, seat of Denton County, named for John B.
Denton, pioneer lawyer, preacher and soldier. His grave is on the lawn at the historic Courthouse-on-the-Square. The city and..
Named after Louis Dumas, president of the company that founded this seat of Moore County in 1892. Oil discovered 1926. In heart of nation's largest grain sorghum producing area, center of..
First named Chapin for townsite promoter; renamed Edinburg in 1911. Hidalgo County seat and western gateway to Lower Rio Grande Valley; center of vast vegetable and citrus culture...
Originally a point on the California Trail, town was established in 1850 (near Fort Fitzhugh, an outpost that dated from about 1845), but town's frontier location made it too convenient for..
One of Texas' oldest municipalities; area inhabited long before recorded history. Early Spanish explorers list an Aranama Indian village at site, then called Santa Dorotea. In 1749, Spain..
In southeastern Young County, Graham was founded in 1872 by Gustavus and Edwin S. Graham. The Graham brothers were from Kentucky and founded Graham Brothers Salt Works. In 1874, Young..
County seat of Medina County, established in 1880s on Southern Pacific Railroad. Takes name from Hondo (Spanish for "deep") Creek.
Economy is based on agriculture, ranching and light..
On north bank of Guadalupe River, city founded in 1883 by J.C.W.
Ingram who built a store and conducted church services. "New" section was started in 1936 following a disastrous flood. A..
Various dates between 1836 and 1840 are cited as the beginning of Jefferson at a river landing on Big Cypress Bayou. Whatever the date, early settlers were already established when the town..
Best-known as hometown of President Lyndon B. Johnson. Seat of Blanco County, named for pioneer Johnson family, ancestors of the president. Located at intersections of U.S. 281 and 290..
Just off Texas 43 in Harrison County, adjacent to Caddo Lake State Park, town was probably named for the ancient city of Karnak, Egypt.
Produced in association with Texas Tourism
Established in 1824 by Michael Gouldrich, one of Stephen F.
Austin's original 300 colonists, when he received a Mexican land grant. In 1898, the Texas & New Orleans Railroad extended..
This "city of stars" has been home to the famous classical pianist Van Cliburne; Alice Lon, the original Champagne Lady for Lawrence Welk; Texas Ranger "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas, who restored..
(La-HEE-tahs), on F.M. 170, is at the western edge of Big Bend National Park. First became a village in 1915 when an Army post was established to protect Big Bend area from flamboyant..
In deep Southwest Texas by the Rio Grande, the village was established 1881 when Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway was building through; was junction of construction from east..
Rich in south-of-the-border flavor, city is the major international crossing along U.S. – Mexican border.
Established by Spanish land grant in 1755; became county seat when Webb..
Originally called Plum Creek, town is near site of fierce battle that took place Aug. 12, 1840. A volunteer force of settlers and Texas Rangers met a renegade war party and defeated them at..
Lubbock was incorporated as a community on March 16, 1909. It became the center of commerce, medicine, education and entertainment for all of West Texas and eastern New Mexico. It was..
Marathon's name was suggested by sea captain who said the area reminded him of Marathon, Greece. Once a cattle and mining shipment center in its heyday, today the town on U.S. 90 at the..
Marfa was established in 1881 as water stop of Texas and New Orleans Railroad. Today, it is a trading point for many large ranches in surrounding mountains. Superb climate makes Marfa a..
Home | Contact Us2003 - 2013 PleaseTakeMeTo. All rights reserved. Hosted by Tourism Media.No part may be reproduced without the written permission of the copyright owner