1-46 of 46
Try something new this year: discover the real Texas in Amarillo, largest city in the Panhandle. Amarillo is home to cowboy culture, canyon country and Historic Route 66.
Originated 1878 as headquarters for huge T Anchor Ranch; seat of Randall County and gateway to spectacular Palo Duro Canyon State Park; home of West Texas A&M Univ.
Established by Methodist minister L.H. Carhart, in 1878 as a "sobriety settlement" in contrast to typical boomtowns of that era.
It earned the sobriquet "Saints Roost" by local cowboys...
Founded in 1901 at the junction of two railroads, Dalhart was known as the headquarters of the famous XIT Ranch, 3,050,000 acres that were deeded by the state to the Capitol Syndicate of..
Named after Louis Dumas, president of the company that founded this seat of Moore County in 1892. Oil discovered 1926. In heart of nation's largest grain sorghum producing area, center of..
In southeastern Young County, Graham was founded in 1872 by Gustavus and Edwin S. Graham. The Graham brothers were from Kentucky and founded Graham Brothers Salt Works. In 1874, Young..
Lubbock was incorporated as a community on March 16, 1909. It became the center of commerce, medicine, education and entertainment for all of West Texas and eastern New Mexico. It was..
Town began in 1900 when the Rock Island Railroad survey marked the site as a future station and shipping point. The railroad ran along the Ozark Trail, which later became Route 66, creating..
Established as Archer County seat in 1881. In early years was retail and shipping center for area ranches; still retail center for county. Agriculture includes cattle ranching, and wheat..
On divide between South Wichita and Brazos rivers, city was established in 1884 when 12 houses were built with lumber hauled from Wichita Falls. City named after town founder H.G. Bedford's..
Cal Farley's Boys Ranch is a nationally known home for boys and girls who benefit from guidance and education in a ranch setting.
Established in 1939 by the late Cal Farley, Texas..
Established as county seat of Terry County in 1904; named for Col. Benjamin Franklin Terry, Confederate leader of Terry's Texas Rangers. Principal incorporated town in county, situated at..
First settled in the 1860s by pioneers D.P. McCracken and H.C.
Ackers on Gilbert Creek in northeastern Wichita County. Cowboys on the giant Samuel Burk Burnett 6666 Ranch derisively called..
Cactus, on U.S. 287 and 13 miles north of Dumas, began as a company town to produce ammunition for World War II. The Cactus Ordnance Works, one of the largest plants in the country, was..
Canadian became county seat when Hemphill County was organized in 1887. It's on the Canadian River and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad in the northwestern part of the county...
Known as Gateway to the Panhandle (located in the southern edge of the Texas Panhandle) and Crossroads of Hospitality (crossroads of U.S. 287 and U.S. 83). On Highway 287, between Wichita..
The city was founded in the early 1880s and developed rapidly after the construction of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway in 1887. Ed and Will Jones established a store on the west..
Established 1891, seat of Foard County, retail center for agricultural and oil production. In mid-1800s area was domain of Comanche Indians who figured in history's most famous case of a..
Seat of Dickens County. The county was created in 1876 from Young and Bexar territories. The city was founded in 1891 and incorporated in 1934. It is eight miles below the escarpment of the..
Named after cattle baron W.T. Waggoner's daughter, city is located in the western edge of Wichita County. The Waggoners were pioneers in the area when they established their cattle..
Groom was named for an early cattleman, B.B. Groom. The town site was laid out in 1903 near the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railroad. The city is in the southeastern corner of Carson..
The town of Henrietta was originally established prior to the Civil War; however, the city ceased to exist when early settlers abandoned their homesteads for areas farther east protected by..
Hereford, named for the Hereford cattle breed brought to this country in 1898, is the seat of Deaf Smith County. Deaf Smith County is named after Erastus "Deaf" Smith, a scout, spy, soldier..
Appropriately named for the surrounding terrain; surveyed and plotted by cereal king C.W. Post in 1912 on the Oxsheer Ranch that he had purchased in 1906. Suggested name of Hockley City..
Named for George Washington Littlefield, cattle baron and philanthropist who bought and developed southern Yellowhouse Division of famed XIT Ranch. Town site first surveyed in 1912 and..
Matador was designated county seat when Motley County was organized in 1891, and it was named for Dr. J.W. Mottley (named was misspelled in the law), signer of Texas Declaration of..
Established in 1902, it grew from water well and switch on Choctaw, Oklahoma and Texas Railroad. Once known as the "uplift city" because of a ladies undergarment factory; former site of..
Name is an Indian word for sweetheart, and also referred to as "Sweetheart of the Plains." Originated as construction camp on Santa Fe Railroad in 1887. It is the county seat and only town..
Discovery of medicinal qualities in waters made city nationally famous in late 19th and early 20th centuries. Was said that waters of the Crazy Well (discovered in 1885) could cure mental..
Mobeetie, near Sweetwater Creek, got its name from the Indian word for "Sweetwater," a name already taken by another Texas town.
Original county seat for Wheeler County, the first..
Seat of Bailey County, long a sparsely settled area of huge cattle ranches. Early in 20th century the immense ranches began to break up, and farming was introduced to this area of the High..
Town grew from 1880s site where early cattlemen gathered herds for branding and forming trail outfits. The name honors Richard Olney, Secretary of State in Grover Cleveland's cabinet...
In eastern Lamb County, the town was founded by W.P. Soash of Waterloo, Iowa, in 1908. Soash bought 87,000 acres of ranch land and resold these lands to northern pioneers, arranging special..
Seat of Hale County, founded 1887 and named for magnificent view of plains. Center of huge, shallow underground water belt, city and county have abundant water supply. County is a leader in..
Seat of Garza County, named for C.W. Post, cereal manufacturer who founded town in 1907 to demonstrate his economic ideas. Town designed to be center of a community of farmers who owned..
Named for Quanah Parker, last great chief of the Comanche Indians, son of a Comanche chief and captive white girl, Cynthia Ann Parker. (See Old Fort Parker in GROESBECK in "PRAIRIES &..
Roaring Springs, in Motley County, was named for nearby Indian campground on the Tongue River with natural, pure water springs and waterfall. A section of land purchased by the Quanah, Acme..
Located on the Brazos River in Baylor County, city was established in 1879 by settlers from Oregon. Artist Tom Lea was contracted in April 1941 to paint a mural for the Seymour Post Office..
Established 1911 as division point to service trains for the Santa Fe Railroad; named for O.L. Slaton, a banker who was instrumental in completion of railroad project. City was designed in..
Retail, banking and commercial center for three-county area.
Business facilities include grain elevators, cotton gins, delinting plant, cotton compress, clothing factory, cottonseed oil..
City established in the middle of a night in May 1901, when Sherman County records were moved from former county seat at Coldwater to land owned by Walter Colton along the new Rock Island..
Settled in 1930 by J.C. Collins along the county's first railroad. Town is named after the Sunray Oil Company refinery. Area economy consists of corn, wheat, cotton, soybean, milo..
Wild turkeys discovered along a small creek gave it the name of Turkey Creek, and the settlement that grew up there was known as Turkey Roost. But the post office shortened it to Turkey...
Established in 1881 with an initial name of Eagle Flats, Vernon is the county seat for Wilbarger County, which borders the Red River. Wilbarger County was named for Josiah Wilbarger, a man..
Named for Wichita Indians who lived near waterfalls on what is now the Wichita River. In 1882, Fort Worth and Denver Railroad brought first train to area, establishing town as an..
The stars at night, are big and bright… That's the first line to a famous song about Texas, and it's especially true about the Panhandle Plains. With its wide-open spaces and rolling..
Home | Contact Us2003 - 2013 PleaseTakeMeTo. All rights reserved. Hosted by Tourism Media.No part may be reproduced without the written permission of the copyright owner