301-350 of 356
Square Butte is located at the foot of a mountain where a big spring supplies everyone with water. In Square Butte, view the historic jail located at the west end of town. It was built..
St. Marie was formerly the housing for an Air Force Base. Today the area is a retirement community located between the Canadian border and Fort Peck Dam.More than 50 different kinds of fish..
St. Regis is named for the St. Regis River, which flows in from the west to join the Clark Fork here. The St. Regis was named by Fr. DeSmet in 1842 in honor of St. Regis de Borgia, who..
St. Xavier is on the Crow Indian Reservation along the Big Horn River. In 1887 Fr. Prando, a Jesuit missionary, and two companions founded a mission here and named it. (from Cheney's..
Stanford is a county seat. In 1880 Calvin and Edward Bower came here with a thousand head of sheep and acquired 100,000 acres. The Bowers named the settlement for their old home..
Stevensville was named for Isaac Ingle Stevens. Luther E. Stanley says, 'When Isaac Ingle Stevens was ordered to Fort Owen in 1853, he came to what was supposed to be a military fort but..
Stockett is coal mining town was named for Lewis Stockett, manager of the Cottonwood Coal Company. When the major mining operations were moved from Sand Coulee to Cottonwood Coulee, the..
Stryker was named for a family. It was once a station on the Great Northern. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana, Mountain Press Publishing Company) Stryker is situated between..
Sula was named for Ursula 'Sula' Thompson, the first white child born in this area. Despite the official name of Sula, the area if often referred to as Ross Hole. The 'hole,' or basin..
Sumatra was a station on the Milwaukee and the highest point between Miles City and Harlowton. When trains were still run by coal engines it was necessary to put on a 'pusher engine' to..
Sun River was in Lewis and Clark County, Montana Territory, when the post office was established in 1868. It is eighteen miles west of Great Falls and one of the oldest settlements still..
Superior is a county seat about ten miles form the Idaho border as the crow flies and forty-eight miles by mountain road. Someone gave the name to a settlement at the mouth of Cedar Creek..
Swan Lake became a rural station out of Big Fork. It may be named for the swans that often visit here, or for Emmett Swan, an early resident. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana..
Teigen sprang to life when them Milwaukee Road put a station here in 1914. The town is named for the Mons Teigen, a major landowner and sheep rancher. In 1883 Teigen and his partners..
Terry, a county seat, is on the Yellowstone River halfway between Miles City and Glendive. The town is named for Gen. Alfred H. Terry, who commanded an 1876 expedition in connection with..
Thompson Falls is a county seat named for David Thompson, a Northwest Fur Company employee who traded in this area in 1809, and for the natural falls in the Clark Fork River here. The..
The three forks of the Missouri River were discovered by Lewis and Clark in 1805, located at the historically significant site where the Madison, Gallatin, and Jefferson rivers converge to..
Toston, on the banks of the Missouri River, was named for Thomas Toston, an early homesteader and the first postmaster. Toston built the Toston Ferry. The giant Toston Smelting Company..
Townsend is a county seat advantageously 'surrounded by the grandeur of the great Missouri River and its valley' and under the protection of the Big Belt Mountains. The first passenger..
Trego, south of Eureka, began as a Great Northern station and was named in honor of Mrs. A. H. Hogeland, wife of a former chief engineer of the railroad; her maiden name was Anna Trego...
Trout Creek was a thriving town in the 1800s. 'Old Trout Creek' was upstream across the creek where Larchwood is now. Logging, railroading, and mining were the principal activities. In..
Troy is in a mountainous area in the northwest corner of the state, less than ten miles from Idaho and about fifty from the Canadian line. It is also just a few miles east of the line..
Turner is twelve miles south of Trelon port of entry on the Canadian side and was named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Turner. Turner was a cattleman who, in 1912, built a store to serve..
Twin Bridges was either named for the two bridges that spanned the Jefferson River nearby, or for two bridges over the Beaverhead and Big Hole Rivers built by the Lott brothers in 1865...
Twodot was named for 'Two Dot' Wilson, local a cattleman who got his nickname because his brand was two dots placed on the shoulders and hips of his cattle and horses, which made it very..
Ulm, twelve miles southwest of Great Falls, was named for William Ulm, who had a ranch here, and whose land included the present townsite. The town became a shipping center for wheat from..
Utica, on the Judith River, was a hangout for cowboys and headquarters for the Judith Basin Cattle Pool in the early 1880s. There was a storehouse for saddles, bridles, and other gear for..
Valier was named for Peter Valier of LaCombre, Wisconsin, who supervised the building of the Montana Western Railroad. Valier is northwest of Conrad on the shores of Lake Francis, a..
Vandalia is on the Milk River between Glasgow and Saco near the site of an old trading post called Campbell's Houses or Hammett's Houses. The post office opened in 1904 with Henry H...
Vaughn is twelve miles west of Great Falls and named for Robert Vaughn, the author of Forty Years on the Frontier. Vaughn came to Montana in 1860. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of..
Victor, near Stevensville, was named for a great Flathead Indian chief. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana, Mountain Press Publishing Company) Victor is nestled in the beautiful..
Vida is an isolate prairie town between Circle and Wolf Point. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana, Mountain Press Publishing Company) Vida is located along the Big Sky Back..
Virgelle's name was coined from the first names of Virgil and Ella Blackenbaker. Mr. Blackenbaker was a prominent sheep rancher and at one time was elected state senator. (from Cheney's..
Volborg is a country store and post office on Pumpkin Creek, a large stream which attracted many stockmen to its banks, where they noted the vast, unfenced and unclaimed ranges on both..
Wagner is on the Milk River. At nearby Exeter Creek on July 3, 1901, the Kid Curry gang held up the Great Northern train. They grabbed a case which they though contained $40,000, but as..
Walkerville, a suburb of Butte, was named for the Walker Brothers of Salt Lake City, Utah, who owned and operated the Alice Mine at Walkerville. The town was settled mostly by miners from..
Warm Springs was named for the nearby hot springs. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana, Mountain Press Publishing Company) This town is located along Warm Springs Creek near Deer..
West Glacier is the western entrance to Glacier National Park, so the name describes its locations at the southern tip of Lake McDonald. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana..
Westby is Montana's most northeasterly town located on the North Dakota border some ten miles from the Canadian line. It got its name when it was actually in North Dakota. The..
White Sulphur Springs is the county seat and was one of the original counties in Montana. White Sulphur springs was the headquarters for a county that included most of central Montana...
Whitehall takes its name from a large white ranch home, originally owned by E. G. Brooke, which was used as a stopping place for stages running from Helena to Virginia City. Brooke named..
Whitetail is seven miles from the Big Beaver port of entry into Canada. Presumably it was named for the native whitetail deer. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana, Mountain Press..
Wibaux is a county seat named for Pierre Wibaux, a Huguenot who came to eastern Montana, liked it, and stayed. Wibaux became one of the largest cattlemen in the state, making a fortune..
Willow Creek was named for the creek on which it is located, and the creek was named for the many willows along its banks. The first pioneers arrived in the area in 1864, among them the..
Winifred is a small town along Dog Creek north of Lewiston. It began as a railway station. Some say it was named for Winifred Sewall, the daughter of E. D Sewall, but most authorities..
Winnett, a county seat, was named for Walter John Winnett, who was born in the Crytal Palace—now Queen's Hotel—in Toronto. Winnett ran away from home as a boy, seeking adventure in..
Winston is between Townsend and Helena. Winston began with Fred Goudy's Saloon, which was followed by the Duncan Hotel, a combined restaurant and rooming house. The Duncans worked to..
Wisdom was named for the Wisdom (now the Big Hole) River that flows through the town. In 1805 Lewis and Clark, at the confluence of the tributaries of the Jefferson River near the present..
Wise River, in the extreme northern part of the county, is located where the Wise River flows into the Big Hole. Since the Big Hole was originally named the Wisdom River, it is possible..
Wolf Creek is north of Helena and an important recreation center. It was named for the large creek that flows by it and is derived from the Indian phrase, 'Creek-where-the-wolf-jumped-too'..
Home | Contact Us2003 - 2013 PleaseTakeMeTo. All rights reserved. Hosted by Tourism Media.No part may be reproduced without the written permission of the copyright owner